Some dangers to your home are easy to spot, like smoke from a fire or water dripping from a plumbing leak. But some dangers aren’t so obvious. A gas leak can be hard to notice, but it is every bit as dangerous as a fire or flood. Exposure to gas can cause severe and immediate health problems for people and pets. Even worse, if a house is filled with gas, even a small spark could set off a dangerous explosion. That’s why we were so surprised when one business seemed indifferent to the gas leaking into a customer’s house.
A New Fireplace
Donna and her husband were excited about their new fireplace. They had hired a local company to convert their wood-burning fireplace into a gas fireplace. It had been a year since the initial installation, and now, as the holidays approached, they were ready to finally use their new fireplace. But when Donna went to light the fire, she noticed that the pilot light was out.
Donna was eager to use her fireplace, so she called the installation company for help. They told her that they don’t light pilot lights, but offered to do an inspection for $299. Donna didn’t think she needed an inspection since she hadn’t even used her new system yet. Instead, she called her gas company to light the pilot light. What the gas company found, though, was rather alarming.
A Serious Problem
A technician came to Donna’s home and lit the pilot light for her. But as soon as he left, Donna thought she smelled gas. She called back the technician who used his meter to check for a leak. Sure enough, there was gas leaking. A lot of gas. And the culprit? Faulty installation of her fireplace system.
Donna called back the installation company to let them know about the problem. But they seemed unmoved. While Donna worried for her family’s safety, the installation company was in no rush to fix things.
That’s when she called TrustDALE.
A Safe Resolution
TrustDALE called the installation company on Donna’s behalf. With a little bit of TrustDALE magic, we convinced them to do what’s right. They came back to Donna’s house and did a complete repair. They took everything out, replaced some fittings and a rusted pipe, and got everything working as it should.
We’re always happy when a business decides to do what’s right by a customer. But in the meantime, Donna had a serious hazard on her hands with that gas leak. Luckily, nothing bad came of it, but we want you to know what to do if you suspect a gas leak.
What to Do If You Suspect a Gas Leak
A gas leak can be hazardous to your health and endanger your home. If you think you smell gas, here’s what to do.
- Get everyone out of the house. That includes people and pets.
- Leave the doors open.
- From outside the house, use your cell phone to call 911, the fire department, or the gas company’s emergency line.
Just as important as knowing what to do, here’s a list of thing NOT to do. If you suspect a gas leak, NEVER:
- Use a cellphone indoors
- Turn on or off lights and appliances
- Light a candle, match, lighter, or any type of fire
- Try to find the source of the leak on your own
Most importantly, never let a suspected leak go unreported. If you smell something, say something. You could just end up saving your house or even your life.